• Good

6 18.75%
  • Bad

26 81.25%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Does It Mean to be GHETTO?

Post What Does It Mean to be GHETTO?

I've posed this question to a few people I know, and the responses I got didn't really squash my curiousity on the subject. I guess what I wanna figure out is:

* What's ghetto... and is it a positive or negative human trait?
    * If it's positive, what makes it great... if it's negative, why is this so?
    * Can being ghetto be seen as a form of low self-esteem?

* Bonus: What's ghetto fabulousness and is it a positive or negative human trait?
    * Bonus: Could ghetto fabulousness be used synonymously with the term ghetto?

Similar Threads:

2.    Sponsored Links

And if you don't have time to make a whole response make your vote count...

ummmm...well...I really don't know if there'e like a concrete definition for "ghetto" lol

My mother and her entire side of the family grew up in the projects, and I would say about 2-3 of them are "ghetto"...so growing up in the ghetto wouldnt really make you ghetto...my mother didn't raise me anywhere near the hood (but sinmce my fam was there...I spent a lot of time there) and I've been called "ghetto" on more than one occassion...which is backwards lol

In my community, we sometimes call "thrifty" people ghetto. One example...ummm...tape on the back of the remote when you lose the back instead of buyin another one. We'll say..that's "ghetto" lol. Anything broken appliances "nigga-rigged" with household items is ghetto ..dunno if that makes sense

Loud people. If you a black/latina chick...and loud as all out doors for no reason...whether you use slang or sound like "white girl"....you're labelled as ghetto lol Its funny tho...cuz at my job...the white people get loud and drunk and thats not ghetto...eh...whatever

Ghetto could also be a way to describe you as a survivor lol
    Ex: Me and my mama can survive off of not a whole lot...cu we never had a whole lot of money...,but we always found a way to get what we need. As oppessed to someone who grew up rich...they might jump out a window if they lost their money. Someone could be going through financial hardship and be like "oh ok...this aint nothin...I got this...I'm ghetto" lol

But we all know what the ghetto is...and its not a place where you would wanna raise your kids if you had a choice...so most people who's never actually stepped foot there would give the word ghetto a negative connotation no matter what, based on its origin...

You COULD Associated ghetto with low self-esteem in some cases...some people say ghetto is a state of mind...so if you're the "bad ghetto" (whatever that is)...its a reflection of you're environment. If thats how everybody in you're family acts, most likely thats how you gon act, and you really dont see no other way, hate it or love it.

but um...like i said...i cant really give like an absolute definition...im dont really like to think THAT much lol...it can be good or bad depending on how you look at it

hope that made sense lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tisha701 View Post
    I've posed this question to a few people I know, and the responses I got didn't really squash my curiousity on the subject. I guess what I wanna figure out is:

* What's ghetto... and is it a positive or negative human trait?
    * If it's positive, what makes it great... if it's negative, why is this so?
    * Can being ghetto be seen as a form of low self-esteem?

* Bonus: What's ghetto fabulousness and is it a positive or negative human trait?
    * Bonus: Could ghetto fabulousness be used synonymously with the term ghetto?
    ghetto is looked at as a mind state. but white eople and some blacks associate it with where one lives in a poverty stricken place where there is drugs and violence well if that is the case then the world is a ghetto but, it's not a positive thing. because it is equivacated with black people. you can be born in the ghetto(so to speak) and not have a ghetto mentality(the way you dress, talk and act) you don't have to fit into the sterotype. there is nothing fab about the ghetto. until the people in the community take responsibiility for their actions and improve the quality of life in the hood it will never be fab.

sorry for the lengthy post.

i will say this about the ghetto. it prepares you for hardships and teaches you how to deal in a cold world. you can learn to make something out of nothing.

i cud answer one..no bein seen as form iof havin a low self esteem

imma jus say im wit jboog on dis one....i will chat too much and end up typing too much....and presently i dont have the finger strength/endurance . but i voted tho

it cd be good cuz it can make u stronger but i mean it depends on ur definition of ghetto so i dunno

M.E. Productions[DIV][/DIV]

the word ghetto if im not mistaken is Italian and was the place where jews were forced to live..its derived from a word that means to throw away or something like that..but im not sure about that…nowadays when its used to describe a physical place its used the way u would use the word slum..or in brazil its known as favelas or areas where low income families live and like with most things it tend to based on ethnicity…
    we also used to describe a behavior…how ppl carry themselves especially in public…how ppl dress….if someone is loud or scandalous or dress flashy and scandalous…then they are called ghetto..so in a way its used as to describe “class”…and in this way its not so much about income because “class” and money are not mutually exclusive so it doesn’t matter whether u live South east DC or the Hilton mansion u can still be “ghetto” since in this way it seems more to have to do with needing attention or not having dignity...
    When I think of the word guetto fabulous…It comes across in a similar, although not as controversial, to the way ppl try to explain using the N word…like taking something with a negative connotation and claiming to empower themselves by claiming it…so ghetto fabulous is like saying this is what u call me so ill put it in you face and im going to be proud of it and I don’t care what u think…although I think once ppl get a full understanding of the meaning of certain words or become aware of them even if they continue to use them.. when they do…the weight of the word comes to the forefront so its not as comfortable and as easy as before…but i could be wrong on that one

Last edited by BlueLuv2; 09-07-2007 at 09:33 AM.

Bonus. . . Does that mean we score points? . . .

Quote Originally Posted by T.r.i.n.i. View Post
    Bonus. . . Does that mean we score points? . . .
    for u it means u get a cookie........

Lone Ranger Dhaz Immigrant Shana B's Avatar

I have no idea......really

from what i've seen tho bein described as ghetto has nothin to do with bein from what we call the ghetto

Ppl that i normally hear bein described as ghetto are pplthat behave loud an boysterous ppl

what some of us may consider as down to earth others may simply say its ghetto

whather its a good or bad thing i would say it depends on the situation

Love is a fire But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down ur house u can never tell.

Arite, loving the response btw... I got a question now, could "it's all I know" be a valid excuse/reason for why someone acted ghetto?

Arite, loving the response btw... I got a question now, could "it's all I know" be a valid excuse/reason for why someone acted ghetto?
    NO. that is the worst attempt at an excuse/reason someone could use. they might as well just say 'this is how i want to be'.....because that is obviously not all they know. if they have a bad behaviour, to say 'this is all i know' is them saying that they know its wrong, but they dont WANT to be any way else....so they choosin to stay one place, instead of progressing. yuh get what im sayin? lol

Lone Ranger Dhaz Immigrant Shana B's Avatar

NO i don' tthhink so even if its all they have seen there comes a point in evry one's life when they have to learn to distinguish tween right and wrong

Love is a fire But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down ur house u can never tell.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast