+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you catch an infection from sharing a toilet seat?

Monte

Default Can you catch an infection from sharing a toilet seat?

Some useful info.

SOME women are so conscious of their personal hygiene that they often wonder who was sitting on a seat before they were, and whether or not that person left some kind of bacteria behind. While sitting on a regular seat - bus, hospital bench, park seat, etc - may not pose a threat of picking up or leaving infection-causing bacteria, sitting on a toilet seat just might.

According to gynaecologist Professor Horace Fletcher, some infections and infestations can be transmitted from dirty toilet seats.
    "Notably among them are Trichomoniasis (a vaginal infection) which can exist in body fluids on toilet seats or damp bath rags and in swimming pool water," he said. "Worms or worm eggs can also be transmitted by contact with dirty bathroom fixtures - these are transmitted hand to mouth usually, so wash your hands when using public toilets. Lice such as crab lice are also easily caught in this way. So when using a strange toilet avoid wiping with other peoples towels and rags and wipe the seat before use, especially if it is wet," he advised.

So while you can catch an infection from a toilet seat, the flip side is that you can pass on an infection to someone in a similar fashion. This is one of the reasons you are advised to wipe the seat if you sprinkle.

"In a similar way if a woman has Trichhomoniasis, Gardnerella or even worms, she can pass it on to some unsuspecting person who uses her rag or towel or goes and sits on the toilet just after she has used it (without wiping it clean)," Dr Fletcher said.

He explained, however, that transfer of infections this way is not a common occurrence.

"Most of these infections (Trichomoniasis and Gardnerella) are transmitted sexually," he said.

According to iVillage.com there are other organisms that conceivably could be acquired by contact with toilet seats, such as the strep (streptococcus) and staph (staphylococcus) bacteria that we routinely carry on our skins. It is possible that you could become colonised with a specific organism (become a carrier) after sharing a toilet seat with someone carrying that organism. But, in agreement with Dr Fletcher, they believe the risk of such transmission is very small.

There is no way to know how frequently such infections are spread by toilet seats, so while we will not suggest that you desist from using public toilets or share toilets with others, always ensure that you wipe the seat before actually sitting down.
    jamaicaobserver.com/health

2.    Sponsored Links

i lace it with TP or squat.

best advice i can give is to squat... that way no contact wit seat

u kno wat pisses me off tho.. the fact that some women have not herd of flushing.. i jus hate walkin into a stall and seein other ppls pee/shit/sometimes blood in da toilet

*shivers* remember that tyra banks show when you sqat make sure you hold ont o your panties. I rather not go to the bathroom i usually make sure i empty before leaving the house. i also thought about carrying those styrophome (spelling?) and pee in it then throw it away after.
    Parting Ways Is All We Know Of Heaven And All We Need Of Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Mz K View Post
    *shivers* remember that tyra banks show when you sqat make sure you hold ont o your panties. I rather not go to the bathroom i usually make sure i empty before leaving the house. i also thought about carrying those styrophome (spelling?) and pee in it then throw it away after.
    that had me laughin but its actually is not a bad idea...

Lone Ranger Dhaz Immigrant Shana B's Avatar

I squat when i can not hold it any longer

Now i have to squat like evry 30 mins when i'm at school cause keepin it up landed me in the ER two weeks ago and i never wonna feel that pain again

so squattin is what i do
    Love is a fire But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down ur house u can never tell.

Ghetto Kama Sutra Illegal Alian vybzgal718's Avatar

i lace it with tons { and when i say tons, i really mean TONS} of toilet paper b/c i hate to squat....i'm kind of a germophobe {sp}....and i also have OCD...so even in my own house i'll lace the toilet just because its like a habit for me

.... females have it hard, i swear lol.... Most girls i know are Pros at holding they pee when out

Ghetto Kama Sutra Illegal Alian vybzgal718's Avatar

i'm good for holding it, and i hate using public restrooms...like its a fear

same here like gifted said some of these chicks that uses bathroms are just so damn disgusting *shakes head*
    Parting Ways Is All We Know Of Heaven And All We Need Of Hell

u ever notice that no matter what we're stereo typically the cleaner of male and females but 10 to 1 times the male bathroom in a public place is always cleaner
    Love is a fire But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down ur house u can never tell.

tru... and wat i also hate is no matter wat time of day it is.. u go to a mall washroom and theres a lineup for the womens restroom and da mens one empty

one time ma mom went into da mens one cuz she cudnt wait

Monte

i use ALOT of toilet paper on the seat...but i still dont sit on em....i normally hold it..it gotta be to the extreme y i'd use public bathrooms.

if i really wonna go an there are no males visible in the male room i sneak in and use tho is till don sit atleast it looks cleaner

lately i jus make sure before i leave my house i pee and i rush home after class an go straight to the bathroom

Monte

yea dats the best ting...use di bathroom b 4 u leave and dont drink too much liquid lol...and even if it look clean...dont really mean it is....bacteria and so forth are some extremely small organisms dat can live on surfaces for days and also even if the place dry lol so yah still gotta be more cautious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast